Rising Above the Chaos
IRS Coronavirus-Related Filing and Payment
We hope this email finds you well and healthy!
Today we would like to make you aware that the IRS has issued further guidance on the Federal tax deadlines. The agency has posted 24 Questions and Answers regarding the extended deadlines on their website. You can review the full post here and refer to our summary below. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-and-payment-deadlines-questions-and-answers
IRS Postponed Deadlines:
- The tax filing and payment deadline has been postponed from April 15th to July 15th for Individual, Corporate, Estate and Trust Income Tax (See Question 3 for full details).
- The First Quarter Estimated Tax Payment deadline has been postponed from April 15th to July 15th.
- Electronic payments already scheduled for April 15, 2020 will not be automatically rescheduled. However, the taxpayer can take action to reschedule the payments. See the answer to question 14 for instructions.
- Contributions to IRAs, Qualified Retirement Plans, HSA, and MSA accounts can be made up to July 15, 2020 for the 2019 tax year.
IRS Deadlines Not Postponed:
- The Second Quarter Estimated Tax Payment is still due on June 15th. Meaning, the First Quarter payment is now due after the Second Quarter Payment.
- Businesses and Non-Profits May 15, 2020 and June 15, 2020 tax return filing deadlines have not been postponed.
- Gift (Form 709) and Estate (Form 706) Returns due on 4/15/2020 have not been postponed.
- Payroll and Excise filing and payment deadlines have not been postponed.
- Excess deferrals from a workplace-based retirement plan must still be taken out by April 15, 2020.
New York State Coronavirus-Related Filing and Payment
Updated: Governor Cuomo issued Executive Order No. 202.12 on March 29, 2020 formally extending the 2019 New York State Income Tax Filing, Payment and 2020 First Quarter payments normally due on April 15th to July 15th.